Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Cheap Prosthetic Limbs; The Info Age Offers Hope for the World

(TL;DR at bottom)

http://garbimba.com/2015/02/19-year-old-who-built-a-350-robotic-arm-teaches-you-how-to-build-it-free/

People wonder why I am so bitter. I've been called a "hater" many times. I've argued against that, but I'm really trying to cleanse myself of that behavior right now and become a more positive person. But this is why it's so difficult for me. I knew about this technology and about how cheaply it could be made when I first ever heard about prosthetic limbs and learned how much they cost. My father and grandfather were inventors, I studied to be an engineer for a while, and my entire life revolves around learning everything and figuring out the impossible problems. So when I heard, and hear, that the standard price for a prosthetic limb can be 6 figures, it takes everything in me not to go absolutely fucking apeshit with anger.

I'm like Bruce Banter; peaceful scientist who just wants to figure shit out and help the world, who believes in so much. He wants to cure the evil. But when so many do not, and stand in his way of helping, for no good reason, he flips out and turns into the Hulk, instead attempting to destroy the evil, with little regard to collateral damage. My philosophy name (like a rap name) happens to be "Destroyer of Knowledge". "Hater of Haters". "Bitter Bemoaner of Bitterness".

It's hard for me not to be angry because I know what we are capable of, I know what is possible, and perhaps more pertinently, I know what we've already done (and btw, what this kid did, had already been done several times with older tech). But people don't believe in anything. Money? They fight each other, they put each other down, companies and governments suppress innovation and consolidate power... This is the third or fourth time we have had electric cars in this country--Tesla is not the first; just the first to not get erased from existence by big oil and big auto, but I respect them for choosing such a defiant name. There's just so much useless hate. And in my foolishness, I respond to it with more hate.

I am not a terrorist, but I tell you honestly that I can sympathize with a certain brand of terrorist. Because I feel so powerless, useless, against a world that is against everything I stand for. I have fantasized about watching an entire building of some evil corporation explode. I have sworn to myself that if I ever meet certain individuals in real life that I will thrust my fist straight into their face. I've even thought about hanging myself in a place where people would notice and the scene would make an important statement. These aren't acts of hate so much as they are feelings of desperation. I would never do any of those things. I've only raised my hand to another human being twice, in self defense in a bad neighborhood (and I was punished for it, btw). It's emotions. I feel completely powerless. It's like the world is against LIFE, so if I want to live, I have to fight for it. I hate fighting, so I hate the world.

I have seen people in my life who stand for love and spread that love message, but I just don't see them making a big impact, compared to the hate. People don't listen. I don't listen. And when I do spread a message of love, people don't seem to hear it. Maybe I'm not paying attention. Maybe I can bring some innovation to the "love strategy". Maybe I should pay more attention to my heroes like Martin Luther King Jr, Burzynski, Aaron Swartz, Elon Musk, Ensemble Studios, Jesus... The love that the close friends in my life have given me is very precious, but maybe I'm underestimating the impact those small instances have on the bigger picture.

I feel like I can't even write this candid post--which could be a reassuring, cathartic, empowering read for many--without losing out on job opportunities, getting harassed by the TSA at the airport, losing business, or being judged as "unfriendable" and "undateable". But I'm doing it anyways because I choose to live my life and fulfill my purpose. Not the right time or place? Maybe the right time and place is when you feel it.


TL;DR:

My current theory is this: it's not love or hate that will change the world, but truth. There is a time and place for both love and hate. But it does a person no good to live in hate. The individual should live in love for the sake of life. Whatever life they can claim or create, it comes from love. Perhaps lies are the only thing worth hating--but really we should love them for forcing us to grow and explore our minds. We are in the information age, so the truth will come out, even if it has to be re-discovered, like with this prosthetic. I think we will work our way out of our big problems because of it. From these recent observations, like the prosthetic limb, my faith has grown. I am so deeply thankful for the progress I am observing, and the potential that is emerging. It's very subtle, but it's very much there. We are laying the foundation for real growth in the next epoch of human existence. Digging the well toward the water of new life. The human spirit is truly undying. It is clear to me now that our progress is an unstoppable force. And from this mental place I will continue to grow my faith and love. I'm really starting to feel like the world can take care of itself and my ego can take a rest (permanently, please). I cannot wait to see what my generation does in my lifetime. I will focus at ease on my part. And I hope if you're reading this, you'll be around for everything.

Sincerely,
Salvatore

No comments: